Tonight I made a healthy delicious meal for my hubby and me :) Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu along with stir fry (brown rice, sauteed veggies, and shrimp). I had some friends request the homemade Hot and Sour Soup recipe from me, so here it is! Courtesy of Cooking Light magazine - April's issue.
Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu
*Light in calories but has great protein and nutrients, so you can double the portion size and enjoy it as your meal (like I did tonight!)
*I bolded areas of the recipe that take a little time, just so you are prepared for it!
1 (14 oz) package firm water-packed tofu, drained
1 3/4 cups water (divided and used at different times)
1 (1/2 oz) package dried sliced shiitake mushroom caps
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp less-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp white pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into julienne strips
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
1. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. (The way I drain tofu is to just put it on a plate, place another plate on top of the block of tofu, and put something heavy like a cookbook or pot on top. I leave it for a few hours, and just pour the liquid off the plate when done draining.)
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms; let stand 30 minutes.
3. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
6. Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, and bamboo shoots into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove form heat.
7. Slowly drizzle egg into broth mixture (do not stir). Place pan over low heat; cook 1 minutes. Stir soup gently to combine. Sprinkle with green onions.
*Makes 6 servings
*Serving size = 1 1/4 cup
*Per serving: 110 cals, 4.1g fat, 8.6g protiein, 10.1g carbs, .8g fiber, 445 mg sodium
Let me know if you make this tasty dinner! I hope you do and that you enjoy it!MMMMMmmmmm :) Cheers!